of the World's
Old Growth Forests
- The United States has already lost 96% of its old growth forests
- Only 22% of the world's old growth forests are still intact
- 76 countries have already lost all of their old growth forests. Eleven more countries are on
the verge of losing their old growth forests.
- 70% of the world's remaining old growth forests are in Brazil, Russia, and Canada.
- Outside of the world's cold boreal regions, 75% of the world's old growth forest is threatened.
- Global wood consumption has increased 2.5 times since 1950.
- Wood consumption in the United States and Canada is three times the level in underdeveloped
countries and double that of other industrialized nations.
- North American wood consumption is expected to increase 46% by the year 2040.
- We already have the technology to reduce our wood consumption by 75-90%.
Source: Rainforest Action Network